Cabbage Leaves stuffed with Chestnut & Spices
→ Turkish cooks are masters of the stuffed vegetables. In this preparation, the stuffing is made with chestnuts and rice and spiced with cinnamon and allspice. The stuffed cabbage leaves can be eaten hot, but it is also common to serve them at room temperature. I believe the latter serving method allows the flavours to mellow better. Makes: 4 servings –
1. Remove the hard, central core with a knife, carefully pull apart the leaves without ripping them, and stack them.
2. Steam the head of cabbage for about 15-20 minutes.
3. Drain the cabbage and place it under cold running water to stop it from cooking.
4. Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a small frying pan over medium-high heat.
5. Cook the onion, garlic and sugar until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
6. Add the rice, allspice, cinnamon and salt, and barely cover with water. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer until all the liquid is absorbed, 15-20 minutes.
7. In a large bowl, toss together the chestnuts, rice mixture, dill and parsley.
8. Season with mixture lightly with salt and pepper.
9. Arrange a cabbage leaf in front of you with the central stem rib closest to you. Put a heaping tablespoon of stuffing mixture on the portion of the cabbage closest to you and roll the leaf over once. Tuck in the sides and continue rolling until the leaf forms a nice, neat little package. Continue to stuff and roll the cabbage leaves in this manner, packing the rolled-up cabbage leaves snugly in a large pan.
10. Mix the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil with the lemon juice and pour over the cabbage rolls. Invert a heavy plate over the cabbage rolls then cover the pan with its lid. Bring the liquid in the pan to a simmer, reduce the heat to low, and cook until the cabbage leaves look translucent, about 20-25 minutes.
11. Allow the cabbage leaves to come to room temperature in the pan. Transfer to a serving platter and serve with wedges of lem
Lamb Brand Parboiled Rice 75 g, rinsed
Lamb Brand White Granulated Sugar 1 tsp
Lamb Brand Ground Allspice 1 tsp
Lamb Brand Ground Cinnamon 1 tsp
Lamb Brand Table Salt 1/2 tsp
Lamb Brand Fine Table Salt pinch
Lamb Brand Ground Black Pepper pinch
Green Cabbage 1 head, about 650-700 g
Chestnuts 225 g, roasted, shelled & chopped
Water 150 ml
Garlic Cloves 4, finely chopped
Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 3 tbsp, divided
Small Onion 1, finely chopped
Small Handful Fresh Dill, finely chopped
Small Handful Fresh Parsley, finely chopped
Juice of 1 lemon
Support our Sponsors
Support Malta Meat Free Week by sending us a donation and help us cover the costs of this initiate. You can make a secure donation using our PayPal account.